Wednesday 18 January 2017

The Messenger by Josh Ferguson // Year 2

Hey guys! This is my version of the radio drama we had to write on Tuesday. I've tried to format it as correctly as possible. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


LOUD DOOR KNOCK
SHAH: Who is it?
JORDAN: (OFF) Open the fucking door, Shah
CREAKING OF DOOR
SHAH: (BEAT) Ms Jordan! What are you doing here? How’d you get past the reception desk?
JORDAN: The fuck d’ya mean you’re cancelling it? Huh?
SHAH: For crying out loud. I explained very clearly on the phone why it was cancelled. The hospital is in a  terrible state at the minute. Look out front, see for yourself.
JORDAN: I’ve seen it. That didn’t look like no black alert to me. Plenty of doctors, and only old people waiting for appointments. What gives?
SHAH: Well I guess we’re just having a good day, then. It’s been hectic all week, I assure you. Now please leave before I call security
JORDAN: (CLOSE) I’ll leave when you get this fucking tumour out my breast
SHAH: (PAUSE) The operation will still happen. It’s just had to be delayed a little, that’s all.
JORDAN: I can’t wait any longer. I’ll be dead by Easter if you don’t do nothin’.
SHAH: That won’t happen. You have the treatment I supplied you, and that should keep y-
JORDAN: That shit ain’t working like it should. It’s getting worse, I can feel it. The pain is too much. I can barely make it out of bed on most days. (PAUSE) It’s just too much. I can’t deal with this shit anymore.
SHAH: Ms Jordan listen to me. The tumor is non-malignant. So for the time being, you have nothing to worry about. Okay?
JORDAN: Okay then. So when can I rebook the operation?
SHAH: I’m not sure. Either when the black alert clears or when you… sorry, if you become a high priority patient
JORDAN: And how do I become high priority?
SHAH: Well (BEAT), there’s no real way of saying this nicely. You’ll be considered high priority when the tumour becomes cancerous. Hopefully that uh, doesn’t happen anytime soon, y’know.
JORDAN: Doctor. (PAUSE) How long do I have? How long do I have till it becomes cancerous? (PAUSE) Doctor?
SHAH: I’m uh…
JORDAN: Alright then. I guess that’s just how life works, ey?
TWIST OF DOOR KNOB, CREAKING OF DOOR
SHAH: Ms. Jordan, wait!
JORDAN: I’ll see you in another life, Doctor

SLAMMING OF DOOR

1 comment: