Wednesday 18 January 2017

I'm Sorry, Miss Jordan - Ellora Sutton, Year 2


I did try to format this properly, but then Blogspot decided to hate me. Sorry. 



JORDAN: You can’t do this. You can’t.

SHAH: I’m sorry, Miss Jordan.

JORDAN: No you’re not. I’m just. I’m just a number to you people.

SHAH: That’s not true, Miss Jordan. It’s just a case of rescheduling –

JORDAN: And how long will that take? (PAUSE) That’s what I thought. (BEAT) Doctor Shah, how long will it take?

SHAH: (PAUSE) A few months. As things stand, with the hospital on Black Alert you’re probably looking at mid-April for your operation.

JORDAN: April.

SHAH: I’m sorry, Miss Jordan.

JORDAN: No, you’re not. I just. I don’t understand. Why me? Why my operation?

SHAH: Well, with the hospital so overworked, we’ve had to prioritise critical care. Your operation is seen as a low priority procedure. I’m sorry.

JORDAN: So you keep saying.

SHAH: It wasn’t my decision.

JORDAN:  (PAUSE) You said… (PAUSE) Dr Shah, last time I came in you said that the tumour was high-risk.

SHAH: I also said it was non-malignant. (BEAT) Miss Jordan, please don’t get upset.

JORDAN: How can a high-risk tumour be low priority?

SHAH: Because it’s non-malignant.

JORDAN: What does that mean?

SHAH: It’s not cancerous. (PAUSE) Not yet.

JORDAN: Not yet. Not yet. Okay. Alright. So. So I’m going to get cancer, yeah? That’s what you’re saying, isn’t it?

SHAH: No, Miss Jordan. Not at-

JORDAN: I have to be dying before I’m worth saving.

SHAH: (PAUSE) I’m sorry, Miss Jordan.

JORDAN: Sorry. Well, that fixes everything, doesn’t it? I. I have kids. Oh God. Dr Shah, I have children. I can’t. I can’t get sick. Cancer. It. It happens to other people. Not. Not to me. I’m too young. I have kids. A few months down the line, what am I supposed to say to them? 'Mummy's got   cancer and her hair is falling out and she might not be around to read you a bed time story this time next year because she was seen as a low bloody priority'. (PAUSE) I have children, Dr Shah.


SHAH: I’m sorry, Miss Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment