Friday 3 March 2017

The Betrayal by Shelley Abbey


The thumping  rain wasn't loud enough, to block the troubled thoughts of the man. 

“ How long did it happen”? The man asked hesitantly. 

A stillness engulfed the room.

“I- my heart has always been with you Michael” 

“ Just. Tell me the truth. Tell me when you decided our marriage vows meant to nothing.
Tell me when you decided to go against the promise you made to God and myself, Rosie” Michael shouted.

The summer heat only made her predicament more stressful. It was as if she was on the road to her own personal hell, with no alternative destination available.

 Rosie assessed the current situation. She felt as if she was in an impossible position. If she lied, she’d have dug an even bigger hole that would be almost impossible to climb out of. But if she was honest, it could potentially be the beginning of not only her marriage; but also her relationship with their son.

“You were away for so long. I-it didn't happen until after you had gone to war. Robert was th-

“Robert? The cripple? You were with him!” Michael shouted angrily.

“Nothing that happened was planned. You were away, and London was under attack. I couldn't face it on my own. Rosie replied.

“How many times were the two of you…intimate”?

A silence bewitched the room. The ferocious roar of the thunder heightened the already evident tension within the living room.  

‘Erm I-I think only three or four times, I'm not sure; Ive tried to forget those mistakes. 

Rosie’s knees ached as she knelt in front of her husband. 

Nothing was said for what felt like forever.  

“ He isn't my son”. Michael declared

Flustered by that statement , Rosie pleaded “ No he is, he is ”!

“ The hospital said I'm not a match. The look the nurse gave me when I said I was his father…”
“ The past eleven years have been a lie. Everything. The birthdays. Christmas. Everything”.

“ Stop making these outrageous claims!  Alfie is YOUR son. YOU are the one who’s been there when it mattered, Not Robert”!

“Yes because he left, and therefore avoided any future responsibility”!


Michael slicked back hair in frustration, unsure of what to do or say next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment