Monday 20 February 2017

Untitled Script- Sophie Holmes Year 2

This is the script I used when we were working with the lovely actors. It's untitled as I am crap with names. I couldn't decide whether to post scene one or two so just did both. I tried to format it properly but Blogger doesn't seem to like me. Enjoy!


Scene One- In a traditional family living room, a teen is sitting on the sofa, watching television. Mum has just come home from work.

Mum: Wow, that was a stressful day. Hey Charlie, you’re home early. Class cancelled?

Charlie: Nah, couldn’t be bothered.

Mum: Again?! Charlie, you can’t keep skipping class. Are you even listening to me? Charlie? (turns television off)

Charlie: Hey! I was watching that! Give me the remote!

Mum: Firstly, where are your bloody manners? I’m your mother, not a maid. Secondly, you and me need to have a serious talk. (pause) Don’t roll your eyes at me.

Charlie: We can try and have a ‘serious talk’ (air quotes) but we both know your phone will ring, you’ll look at me say sorry and answer it. Conversation over before it’s even begun. I don’t get why you even bother anymore.

Mum: (starting to get angry) And what’s that supposed to mean?

Charlie goes to leave the room but is prevented from doing so by Mum.
Mum: Sit down, Charlie.

Charlie: (mimics) Sit down, Charlie

Charlie tries to leave again but is forced to sit down by Mum.
Mum: Drop the attitude and sit down! When I say we need to talk, I mean it. (Mum sits down) Now, 
what do you mean you don’t know why I bother?

Charlie: (sarcastic laugh) You don’t give a shit about anything apart from your stupid job. I can do just about anything and you wouldn’t even notice, let alone care.

Mum: That’s what you think. I noticed you’re failing your classes, you know, the ones you barely turn up to. I notice that you don’t hang out with your friends anymore. I notice you never tell me when we’ve run out of milk. I notice a lot more than you think, Charlie.

Charlie: So? Do you want a fucking medal?

Mum: Language!

Charlie: Whatever, like you’re one to talk.

Mum: I’m getting sick of this behaviour. Since the divorce, you’ve been acting like a spoilt brat and it needs to stop. Now. I’m doing the best I can with everything that’s happened. The least you can do is cut me some slack.

Charlie: (Sarcastic) Aww, poor you. Can you not cope with the fallout of the divorce you wanted because your work is more important to you? Are you finding things a bit hard?

Mum: ENOUGH! You think everything is so simple but it’s not. You’re seventeen, what do you know about anything. All you have to do is turn up to college three days a week and you can’t even manage that!

Charlie: I’d like to see you study A-Level psychology. It’s a living hell.

Mum: You know nothing about a living hell.

Charlie: I mean, I live with you, so yeah, I kinda do.

Mum: No one said you had to live here. You ungrateful—

Charlie: And where else would I go? I never asked to be born, I never asked for any of this. 
Everything has to be your way or no way and it’s getting stale. I’m seventeen, I’m not a child anymore, I have a mind of my own.

Mum: It’s my way because I pay all of the bills. I try and give you everything you need, so excuse me if I want things done to a certain standard, not that it matters to you.

Charlie: Eugh, no because nothing matters to me, does it? Stop pretending like you know everything that’s going on with me. You have no clue!

Mum sits with their eyes closed for a few seconds before speaking.
Mum: I can’t deal with this right now.

Charlie: Surprise, surprise. Why don’t you drown your sorrows in a bottle of cheap wine? Or better yet, go back to work and fail trying to stop some petty criminal going to prison.

Mum: Don’t you dare criticise my work! I’d like to see you work six days a week as a defence lawyer. It’s bloody hard. 

Charlie: Couldn’t do a worse job than you, could I?

Mum: Why don’t you go and lock yourself in your room as always? You’re giving me a headache.

Charlie gets up and goes to leave the room.
Charlie: With fucking pleasure.

Mum: (sighs) I give up. Maybe I will treat myself to some wine.

Scene Two- The breakfast table, the following morning. Mum is sitting at the table on the phone.

Mum: (on the phone) –Yes, yes. I understand. I know this case is near impossible to win (pause) No, I’m not dropping it (pause) money is money, especially since the divorce (pause) I really can’t afford not to Laura.

Charlie enters the kitchen and sits at the table
Mum: Okay, um, well. I’m going to have to go. (pause) something’s come up. I’ll speak to you later, I’ll be at the office soon (pause) yes, okay. Bye (pause) bye now.

Charlie: You forgot to buy milk again.

Mum: You forgot to tell me we’d run out of milk again. You know, Charlie, you could always—
Charlie: It’s too early for this.

Mum: I’m not trying to start anything. I’m just saying, money is tight right now. If you had a job, things might be easier. For the both of us. At least then, we’d always have milk (small laugh).

Charlie: I’ve tried getting a job. It’s hard. They don’t want students. They don’t want me.

Mum: Don’t take it personally, Charlie. That’s just the way the world works. It took me ages to find a job when I was your age. Just keep looking, I’m sure you’ll find something soon enough.

Charlie: I suppose.

An awkward silence fills the air
Charlie: Why are you being nice? I thought I gave you a headache yesterday?

Mum: (laughs) You’re always giving me headaches.

Charlie: (sarcastically) gee, thanks.

Mum gets up and hugs Charlie before sitting down again
Mum: I’m sorry, Charlie. You were right. Lately, my work has been coming before everything else, before you. I’m a crap parent. It’s just…It’s…Everything has been so hard since the divorce. Sometimes it’s hard to cope with it all.

Charlie: yeah, it sucks

Another small silence
Charlie: Can I ask you something?

Mum nods
Charlie:  How did you know that I’m failing my classes? I really didn’t think you cared.

Mum: Of course I care, idiot. (pause) Your teacher phoned me yesterday, she’s concerned about you.

Charlie: oh.

Mum: Why aren’t you going to college, Charlie? You’re so smart, you can do anything you want if you just put some effort in.

Charlie: You might find it hard to believe but the divorce has been hard on me too. My parents, who have been together my whole life just split up, out of the blue. Everyone treats me like a china doll, there’s too much sympathy. I feel like a charity case. I can’t take it.

Mum: I hadn’t thought of it like that…

Charlie: Meaning?

Mum: Well, I knew it would be tough on everyone but I had no idea it would affect you this much. I…I probably wouldn’t have filed for divorce if I’d have known this would happen.

Charlie: You can’t predict the future and besides, you’d be unhappy.

Mum: And you’d be happy. You’re my only child. I’d do anything to make you happy.

Mum’s phone rings. They ignore it. It rings again.
Mum: Fuck off, Laura.

Mum turns the phone off.
Mum: I need me a proper day off. Fancy a spontaneous shopping spree, Charlie? I know we can’t really afford it but god do we deserve it.

Charlie gets up to leave the kitchen.
Charlie: Just because we’ve poured our hearts out to each other, it doesn’t mean I want to go shopping with you. Besides, I have class.


END

No comments:

Post a Comment