Tuesday 24 November 2015

Year one: Lydon Colston - Cold Heart Syndrome

Sorry this one's quite long. This is my attempt at writing a fairy-tale like story so... enjoy.

Cold Heart Syndrome

“Do you want your freedom?” A high pitch voice cackled.

“You know I do.” My voice sounded weird even to me, the years had made it a foreigner to my own tongue.

“Then you must do as I say.” The voice faded and I was left alone again, I tried to reply but my mouth was frozen in place.

There was a blue filter over my eyes and opening them burnt, but I endured the pain. For so long now I had not been able to see. It hurt unbearably, to finally take a look at my surroundings and see the magnificence that I had been trapped within. My heart beat increased and a pain filled my chest. It was as if my swollen heart was about to swallow me, leaving me terrified of taking in anymore of the wonder that was now available to me, but I couldn’t turn away from it now. I wanted it all.

My shoulder twitched, lurching forward before returning to its original position. I didn’t understand how it was possible, how was I able to move? My eyes darted around frantically, staring at the glistening sheets of ice as they reflected a multitude of glorious colours all around, bouncing off the walls of frozen tales that surrounded my icicle sarcophagus. My ice wasn’t a whimsical blue though; my ice didn’t convey the full splendour of the world through its shimmer. My ice was black with a red trim acting as a restraining bow.

“How magnificent…” A voice with a husky tone reverberated throughout the room, coursing through my body as I search for its owner.

The sound of crystallized footsteps disturbed the surroundings and suddenly I was being looked at. Grey eyes pierced my very being as a man leaned forward, inspecting my entire figure. My body could not contain itself, be it out of excitement or lust for him, or the outside world, I will never know. Still, my whole body convulsed and small incisions, like a surgical scar, started to appear throughout my prison. Chunks began to fall free from the pinnacle and steam started to rise as black water started to form at the base. He just kept staring, apparently unfazed by the whole situation.

“So, you are alive. What a beauty…” The man breathed in awe. Did he mean me?

I gasped for air, pounding my fists against the floor as pain rippled through my throat and lungs.

“Fuck! Finally…” I screamed in a hoarse voice, coughing and gagging.

“Charming as well.” The man chuckled, crouching next to me and placing a hand on my shoulder.
Upon contact my head flung back and my eyes sparked open. An unbearable pain surged through my head, causing me to let out an unearthly scream which made some of the pools of ice fall from the ceiling, smashing into a parade of bright white sparkles as they collided with the floor.

“I’ve freed you.” A voice echoed through my mind.

“For years I’ve been trying to free you, praying you were still alive in there.” The man said softly in my ear.

“Now you must do as I say.” The voice felt unreal, like it was just a part of my mind demanding recognition.

“Are you okay, can you stand?” The man said as he put my arm around his neck, slowly helping me to my feet. “My name’s Bastian.” His voice felt pure and warm, heating my soul and demanding my attention as his small amount of stubble grazed against my skin as my head leaned into him.

“That man - Bastian, must die. If you value your freedom you will kill him. Make him suffer.” The voice had become distorted, crackling like white noise between syllables.

“Wha-What are you doing?” The man emitted a welcoming laugh as my free hand lazily floated through his short blond hair, disturbing the small blond spikes he’d clearly spent time on.

“Let’s get you out of here and maybe try and figure out how you became trapped in there.” I turned to face him as he did me, our faces far too close to one another, and he smiled. “I must admit, as foolish as it sounds – you’ve captured my heart.” His words flicked at my ears with flames, causing my face to flush and shy away.

“Your beauty is so much more captivating without a looking glass of ice to peer at it through. Your body lacks faults.” He panted with lust, enticing me. I needed him to stop talking, he was winning my love and I wanted my freedom.

“That’s right, just slit his throat, claw out his lungs! Tear his rib cage apart with your bear hands! I don’t care how you do it just kill him! Or give a warm welcome to the ice, the isolation, the cold that you know all too well.” The voice had sunk deeper into my mind now, the pitch dropping and an echo following close behind every word. 

No matter how many alarms sounded in my mind that it must be lying, fear had wrapped its cold fangs around my neck and was biting down harder and harder. I couldn’t risk it – I would not be imprisoned for the sake of love again.

“I’m sorry…” I wept, placing a kiss on the nape of his neck. I looked away from him as tears dripped from my eyes and froze on my cheeks. I pulled my arm from his grip and knelt on the floor sobbing, my sight focused on the sharp shard of damp black ice that had fallen from my frozen tomb and failed to melt.

“What do you me-“ blood poured from his mouth, spluttering into the air like a crimson butterfly as he curled forward, holding onto me for support. This only allowed me to press the shard deeper into his abdomen.

“I really am sorry…” I whispered, placing his dying body on the pale blue bed of ice that made up the floor. “I can’t sacrifice my freedom, not again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment