Tuesday 24 November 2015

Year 2: Hollow by Cesar Badillo

Extremely late post, sorry....

Made in their image they look down on me with ruined, contemplative eyes as if I were a tiny mirror, shattered and foggy. I reflect a perfect outline but no definite figure. I feel their eyes on me and I hear them sighing in reflection. Like a child I am made in their image, but lacking the inherent instinct to imitate, I instead reflect a fragment of who they are. Often they stop and stare for seconds, sometimes minutes, and try to find that fragment deep inside them. It must feel like an itch on numb skin, as if the blind spots in our vision were to appear. But they all leave with the same expression they began with, they move on.  
I am a creation; made with purpose. What must they feel when they see me? A mirror staring back at them. I wonder if they see the green and brown on my skin and think of life and rust. Do they see my hollow chest, my empty shoulders, and think of their own hearts beating inside them? I wonder if for a second they hear themselves breathe and listen to the flow of their veins; the rhythm inside them. Perhaps they’d feel hollow as well – detached; a floating head looking down at an empty body, a subtle disquiet building up at the bottom of their spine, making knots in their throats and clenching their bowels.
I am a creation; made with purpose. I am hollow, sculpted with jade porcelain.


No comments:

Post a Comment