Saturday 7 November 2015

Time – Beth Ashley (Year 1 - for 10/11/15)

Time – Beth Ashley                                                      
This is an extract from a larger text rather than a short story (in case some of you are confused as to why it doesn’t really have an ending)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sun comes up over the fields, spreading its slanting auburn light over the trees and shrubberies of the countryside.  I haven’t seen the dawn in the country for months.  I think about all those times I used to be up early with Mum and Dad working in the bakery, sorting deliveries and baking, rising with the sun.  Lately I’ve only woken up inside shacks and shelters, trapped in the darkness even when I open my eyes in the mornings.  The brightness and colour of this new day excites me.
                “You’ve been sitting there on watch all night?”
                Georgia yawns and rubs her eyes.  I try not to look at her curves as she stretches.  The last thing I need is another slap from this girl.
                “Most of the night,” I say, panning my eyes across the distant treeline. “You never know who’s around in places like this.”
                She sits beside me on the grassy slope, biting her dry lower lip. “But it looks so peaceful. I can’t imagine facing any violence here.”
                “’Course it does.  This is their world.  It’s only us lowers that have to scrape by in the chaos.  Right now we’re in the paradise that they created for themselves. And if anyone see’s us here… we’re a dead pair of lowers.”
                Georgia smiles sleepily. “They’ll get what’s coming to them.”
                “You sound pretty confident for someone who was just on an internment train.”
                “It’s like my Auntie used to say: ‘What goes around comes around.’”
                “She sounds like an idealist,” I tell her. “All the adults from the old world are like that.”
                Georgia stands up and arches her back to rid her spine of the night’s stiffness.  We stay like this for a little while, gazing over the fields.  It’s the first chance we’ve had to catch our breath.  I don’t imagine it to last long.
                I point towards the east, where the sun is rising. “See the trees at the bottom of that slope?  I bet they’re following the river.  The roads will all be guarded, but if we follow the river then we’ll get to the next town sooner or later.  Then we can see about getting the track-lock switched off.”
                “You want to go back to more water?” Georgia asks, aghast. “I’m still shivering from the last river we were in!”
                I don’t blame her.  A shudder runs up my spine as I remember the cold plunge after jumping from the internment train.
                “I saved you then; I’ll save you now,” I promise. “The river is the best bet.”
                She laughs harshly. “You saved me?  It was me that grabbed you and jumped from the train!”
                “What?  It was my idea to jump in the first place!”
                “Stating the obvious does not mean that it was your idea first, Jack.  We knew we had to jump if we were going to get away, but you were too chicken to make a run for it!  If I hadn’t pulled you towards the doors, then you’d never have jumped off the bridge!”
                I can’t believe what she’s saying!  Does this girl, who barely knows me, really think that she just rescued me?
                “Maybe that’s because I’m not crazy!” I snap. “They’d just switched on a track-lock between us, remember?  If the river had swept us more than a few dozen feet apart, we’d both be dead right now!  If it wasn't for dumb luck—”
                “Oh, you’re calling me dumb, now?”  She puts her hands on her hips.  I know that stance.  That’s the same stance my sister used to make when she was about to do something stupid to prove me wrong. “Well, I’m not going near that river.  We should stay away from the towns altogether and stick to the countryside, and maybe we’ll find someone sympathetic to lowers who can help us out…”
                I look up, ready to receive her cocky response, and she’s already walked away from me.
                “Are you crazy?! You’re really starting to wind me up.” I shout, jumping to my feet. “We need to stay close together!  If we get more than twenty paces apart the tracker chips are going to fry every nerve in our bodies!  Don’t just go wandering off like an idiot!”
                There’s that look again.  Me and my big mouth…
                “Just because they say they activated a track-lock doesn't mean such a thing exists,” she retorts. “But I guess we’ll find out if you don’t follow me – away from the river.”
                Off she marches.  She’s already eight paces down the hillside into the meadow. “I'm not moving!” I shout, and she turns around, a crazy grin on her face.
                “Oh yeah?”
                She takes two steps backwards, away from me.  That’s ten paces.
                I sit down on the grass and cross my legs.  Two can play this game!
                “You want to get burned out, keep on going,” I suggest with a casual wave of my hand. “You’re a city girl, but I’m from the country.  You should listen to me for as long as we’re out here.”
                Georgia shrugs. “I guess you were right about me.  I am a little crazy.  See you later, Jack.”
                She takes two more steps backwards – that’s twelve! – then turns and keeps walking.  She’s not going to stop…!  Thirteen paces, fourteen … This stupid game has gone on long enough.
                With no choice I jump to my feet and run to catch up with her.  I’m not dumb enough to die just because I’m stubborn – unlike her.  “You’re a raving lunatic, do you know that?”
                “Quiet!” she commands.
                A distant sound echoes over the green hills.  It’s a high, long note – like a kind of trumpet.  It toots four or five times, then tumbles to silence.  A flock of birds takes flight from a wood at the edge of the valley, alarmed by the peculiar noise. 
                “What was that….?” Georgia says quietly, all the cockiness drained from her face.
                “I don’t know…” I replied, trying to conceal my nervousness.  “Let’s keep moving, okay?”
                She scours the nearby woodland for some sign of which way to go. “There – look.  See that smoke?  I bet that’s a cottage or a farm.  Let’s go and check it out.  If we can’t find help, at least we might be able to snag something to eat.”


No comments:

Post a Comment