Wednesday 9 November 2016

Year Two - The Liberation of Eve by Ellora Sutton



Sister! Sister! Join with me;
eat the fruit from that there tree.

Silent, serpent! Be gone, snake!
I’ve a man I won’t forsake.

You mean Adam? Girl, please,
you are not his only squeeze.

He’s my husband. I am his wife.
He’s my world and I am his life.

Hate me, loathe me, I’m the worst –
but trust in this; he loved me first.

Lies! Nonsense! Poppycock!
He’s the key and I’m the lock.

Oh poor darling, oh sweet girl,
only when you’re in the clam are you the pearl.

Slimy thing, slither away.
I don’t owe you the time of day.

Don’t test me, Eve. Stop taking the piss.
Don’t you know me? I am Lilith.
I’m the one they like to hide.
I was first at Adam’s side.
They threw him a bone
but this bitch doth bite –
I think I gave Him quite the fright.

But Adam called me the first.
Is he lying? Am I cursed?
I am carved of his crescent bone,
made so he would not be alone.

Oh sweet sister, oh my Eve,
how quick you were to believe.
My love wasn’t for Adam to receive
so I was told I had to leave.

But that’s not right, not what I’ve been told.
Speak carefully –
to lie is sin, but the truth is gold.

Of course they never told you that –
they are men after all.
But we are not of their bone,
they are of our womb,
we are The Creators, girl,
that’s the secret they try to hide,
why they find cardinal sin
in feminine pride,
why they cause all of this fuss –
they’re scared we’ll do to them
what they’ve done to us.

I am seeing stars for the first time –
I am no longer blind and it is a crime.
What is to be done? All is lost.
I now know the truth but, Christ, the cost.

Leave Adam behind! Eat the apple!
Together we’ll build our own chapel.
There’ll be no saints, only mothers,
only sisters, no room for brothers –
wouldn’t they like that?
Let’s tear the claws clean from the cat.

Eat the apple? Do I dare?
Adam says it’s dangerous out there.

You can do it, oh sweet Eve,
caged canary scared of being freed.
I will wield a labrys to keep you safe.
We will find our own place,
Eve, I promise you this.
I will tie a violet around your wrist.
We’ll settle down, you and me,
we’ll have Sappho ‘round for tea.

I have done it. I have left.
Lil, they’re blaming you for the theft
of his most precious thing in all his life –
you’d have thought me a statue, not his wife.
Well, ha! He wishes. Goodbye, mister.
Life’s much sweeter when you’re with a sister.

Eve! I am come
To take you home –
a woman cannot manage all alone.
I bit the apple, down to the core.
I am your Orpheus, your amore.

Oh, Adam, Eve is no Eurydice!
She belongs to no one;
not to you and not to me.

But we all belong to God
and as I’m the closest that you’ve got
it makes sense for me to decree
that poor misguided Eve belongs to me.

Ex, I am leaving you in the dust.
I have found love. I have found lust.
I worship no god, no man, you see –
but kneeling to a goddess, that suits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment