Sunday 20 November 2016

Beth Ashley Year 2

Life is hard and everything is annoying

A miserable 'personal essay' - sorry it's late.
This is fictional so feel free to be ruthless

I have always been afraid of everything. People being able to fall asleep without brushing their teeth is a mesmerising thing to me. I have gone to sleep without brushing my teeth once in my entire life and I had nightmares that I coughed all of my teeth out. I also brush my teeth immediately after smoking, or drinking a fizzy drink (which I do neither of regularly, but will accept when there is nothing else).

Even more unrealistic things also keep me up at night. If I have a stomach ache, it can only be appendicitis. I cook meat until its cremated and eggs until their nuked, for I fully believe I will get food poisoning. Sometimes I even randomly choose to slow down my pace in case I have Vertigo and don’t know it – I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way. Every night I lock every door in my house and check them three times, because I think someone will enter my property and murder me. I start panicking about whether we have enough milk, even though I don’t buy milk. And then I get up to switch off all the plug switches off three times too so that a spontaneous combustion near a TV socket doesn’t fry me in my slumber.

Sometimes when I visit airports or railway stations, and instead of being excited about the trip, I somehow manage to convince myself that anyone with slightly bloodshot eyes or clears their throat must have Ebola. When I lost my virginity, I had sex with another virgin and used a condom and yet I still couldn’t sleep for two nights because I was sure as shit that I’d had HIV transferred into me.

I’d hug my boyfriend way too tightly, out of fear that he could fall down dead any minute. I’d stop touching my shoelaces, or the rails on the side of public stairs in tube stations, because of dirt. If I experience dizziness from light or temperature change, I self-diagnose myself with leukaemia upon the moment. I would quietly prepare to die in the next six months, and practise my last words over and over like a transcript.

It may seem like these are just symptoms of being a drama queen, or an idiot. But that’s not the case when you’re not just spouting attention thriving sentences, but you’re having these thoughts in your head and panicking every night as a result. I feel sorry for my mum more than myself. I must be hard to have a child who questions every detail of the medicine they need to take, or wants to know how to complete a job application at nine years old out of fear that they might one day become homeless. It really does show your child’s mental disability when they wake up crying because they’re wondering if the protective seals on the deodorant you’ve just bought could have been tampered with without their knowledge. I bet it’s even harder to pick up your daughter from a sleepover before bedtime has even arrived, because she’s far too uncomfortable sleeping in a room with so many people, and the other little girls mock her extensive night time routine.
And life definitely becomes just a tiny bit sad when your favourite part of the day is the blissful second when you wake up. The second just before I’d look around my home and remember the daily terrors. I’d try to force myself out of bed and attend my lectures. But it was as though a huge, black devil told me the world wasn’t worth it, and tucked me back into bed aggressively. “The world won’t like you,” he said. “You’re too weird. Stay here, where no one can see you.” Sometimes I’d wonder if this is what It will always be like and if there’s any point waiting to find out. At this point, I’d usually call my boyfriend or my therapist and I’d, once again, get talked out of suicide for what I’m sure will not be the only time that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment