Tuesday 30 January 2018

'From D to D' by Fleuranelle Duwhaz


Growing up I knew one place that I loved being almost every day – and it wasn’t nursery- It was a walk from my family home to a street that felt like another home. My family were always hard workers and that’s something I appreciated because it meant I never went without. Some of my relatives built a livelihood on the street that created a market that overflowed with eager people who protected themselves from the sun that illuminated its presence above the tree trunks and straw roofs that formed individual stalls. The aunties that were immersed in conversations in Lingala, French or Swahili - back then I had a loud, outspoken mouth that didn’t know two words of English. There were mountains of oranges, lemons and limes that piled on top of each other next to the peppers, kwanga and fish, as you walk through, you would never smell the same thing for too long.
...
Lured from the confines of my own home to get on the big sky bird that was going to take me...home?
...
    From a livelihood to the inner city hood, I was free but not as free as in the DRC. My freedom was defined in different ways now. If you were to ask anyone from Congo, they would tell you how I should have felt blessed beyond belief. Now if you were to ask anyone who was where I was, the different perspectives will make you realise that the streets were not paved with gold but carved with potholes that didn’t make your journey easy and the cement that paved the way was as heavy as the burden and pressure that was carried on everyone’s back.



No comments:

Post a Comment