Friday 11 March 2016

Stranded Between - Hayden - YEAR 2

Stranded between

I can see two islands in the distance, and the night is closing in ever so gradually. To my feet, I can feel the icy water slowly submerging my raft in what seems to be an inescapable void where I am condemned to perish. Salt water is sprayed into my eyes making it difficult to see clearly, when it is at this moment that I value vision the most. Vicious winds start to sway me back and forth but I calm my mind and it eases slightly, enough to allow me stability once again.
Storm clouds hover above me, ready to throw their bolts once the moon arrives, yet I am still floating in this vast space between two exits. Too afraid to move, and too afraid to choose, for I am the product of both and cannot survive without the other. Which island should I swim to? I look around in helpless thought, only to find countless pairs of seagull eyes honing in on my next move as if it were a game of chess. Their eyes gleaming yellow, ready to squawk at the wrong choice for the sharks to hear and the dolphins to sneer at my daft error.

With my bones and flesh belonging to one but my mind and values owing the other, I feel a wave of confusion about to crash down on my existence, anchoring my body to the dark depths of the seabed. Hissing whispers from the sea swerve right to left in attempt to drown out my consciousness, forcing me to wail for aid yet the sky turns a blind eye and renders me absurd.      


Stranded in the middle, I begin to see no end, as the waves are continuous and everlasting. In thought, to stay at sea seems like an awfully good idea, for acceptance from either comes so very dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment